Saturday, August 4, 2007

Chemo starts Tuesday

OK - It has been a while since we blogged.
We were on vacation with my family in Ohio until Thursday this past week. We left at 7:30am to arrive in Rochester for my oncologist consultation at Pluta Cancer Center. My oncologist is Dr. Brian Yirinek.

We made it just in time for the appointment - with about 30 minutes to spare (a lot of construction on the way!).

We both like Dr. Yirinek and the nurses we met at Pluta. He is kind, social and knowledgeable.
Basically - the path forward is this: Starting Tuesday August 7 - I will have the first of 8 rounds of chemo treatments. We are aiming for the "dose-dense" treatment - which just means that I will get the same dose but I will get it every 2 weeks. Totalling 16 weeks of chemo. We will see how that affects my daily life. Younger people tend to be able to handle dose dense better than older people, but he has concerns that it might wipe me out (being just too tired) given I plan to work full time and I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old at home. So, if we find that I am too tired to function effectively - we will switch to the every 3 week cycle - total of 24 weeks.

In addition - I have bad "small" veins for IV's and for Chemo. So - First thing Tuesday morning - I will go int Highland hospital and have a port surgically implanted under my skin connecting to an artery in my chest. This will allow the nurses to insert a needle into the port for my treatments as opposed to digging through my veins every 2 weeks. For those who have small veins - you can relate with me - this is a great idea! I am happy about the port! I break into a sweat every time someone needs to put an IV in my arms!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Christy: Good luck on your Chemo. I've been thinking about you often and check your website almost daily. I admire your strength and courage. My thoughts and prays continue to be with you as you travel this road to recovery!

Love you.
Jackie B.