Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Do not have Breast Cancer Gene

I just found out the results of my genetic testing.
I do not have the BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene - that can cause hereditary breast and ovarian cancer.
This is good news for my family and myself. With this news - I have no greater chance of getting Ovarian Cancer than the average woman (which I think is 1% chance). If I had the gene - I would have had a 30%+ chance of getting ovarian cancer. So - this eliminates that worry and eliminates the need for me to decide to remove my ovaries. Great!

Also - my sister, who was stressed about these results, also has no greater chance of getting breast or ovarian cancer. Same goes for our daughters. This is a huge relief for them! If they had the gene - they would have an 86% chance of developing breast cancer.

It still does not give me a root cause as to why I developed breast cancer, except that 1 in 7 women get breast cancer. Still unexplained as to why.

Now - there is still unexplained family history on my Dad's side. Either, there are other genetics we cannot test for, yet, or it's just luck of the draw. My Dad's sister and my Dad's cousin both are breast cancer survivors. So - as a family, we need to be aware and have increased screening for breast cancer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christy,

That is wonderful news!

Sandy

Kristin said...

Awesome news Christy!

Anonymous said...

Christy and Celia, this is GREAT News!!! I say that calls for 2 scoops of ice cream tomorrow!!!!

Kristin S

Unknown said...

Great news. Past the 50% mark. Hip, hip, hooray! Love, Dad