Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Update

We have made progress this week. I now have to make 2 appointments with 2 different breast cancer surgeons. And then decide which one will be my surgeon / treatment coordinator.

Dr. Kristin Skinner was recommended by my PCP. She is affiliated with Strong.
Dr. Christopher Caldwell was recommended by my OB/GYN. He works out of the Pluto cancer center and is a surgeon at Highland.

If anyone knows of anyone who has worked with either of these 2 - please let me know, so I can learn about their experiences and success rate statistics.

I had my MRI yesterday. It was relatively uneventful. Much to my sister's dismay, it was a breast MRI, not a full body scan (she thinks we should all be able to get full body scans every year! - actually she just updated me - she thinks every 5 years - she is realistic!) I don't have the results of the MRI. Maybe tonight.

I talked with Dr. Ruckert, my OB/GYN, and he seemed quite assured that we caught this early. He felt was that it will be 3-6 months before surgery with chemo treatments before surgery. He was also very helpful and upbeat! He also felt that it was OK for me to take a couple of weeks to determine surgeons and the right path forward for me. This is NOT a stage 4 aggressive moving cancer.

So, tomorrow I will call the 2 surgeons to make my appointments and hopefully I will be in to see both surgeons by the end of next week.

The good news is that it looks like we will be able to take our vacation to Ohio with my Dad and the rest of my family. We are very happy about that!

3 comments:

Jamie, Christy, Celia & CJ Palmiere said...

Christy Rocks !!!!!

Love Jamie

Unknown said...

Wow, this is wonderful news. We are so excited that you will all be with us for the vacation. It will be truly special. I can't wait to see you "Dadine". Love, Dad

Karen said...

Hey Christy, one thing you can look forward to is Sharon, John, you and I going golfing. Ok I will bring the jelllllllooooo's. Jogn can bring the 100 year old rum. I won't chug Mike;s lemonade.
I have made contact with Mary Ann dever from the Wilmot Center and she will send me some info/ references on your DR choices. Hang in there and talk to you soon. Take care Jamie. Will you drive the golf cart???? You know how we get. :) Karen