Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Genetic Testing

This is just some interesting information:

First of all 1 in 7 women get breast cancer! That was so much higher of a number that I ever realized!

10-15% of those women have the mutated gene that makes us more susceptible to getting cancer (I have a lot of literature on this that I have not had a chance to read, yet).

So - Dr. Caldwell believes I should get the genetic testing done. Not because I have an Aunt who is a breast cancer survivor but because I am so young. They typically see the 30 somethings with breast cancer have the gene.

I continued to pursue this dialog with him.
I asked if I did not test for the gene and I still wanted to get a double mastectomy, could I? He said yes, I could choose to do that. So I then asked why get the testing? What benefit does it add?

He then told me the deciding factor: there is also a gene that makes women more susceptible for ovarian cancer. And the gene testing will tell me this, and if I have it, I could choose to pro-actively take those parts out too!

I decided - I really want to avoid doing this treatment process, twice. So, if needed, I would take out my ovaries. Let's hope that is not the case. But, I'd rather know and deal proactively than not and deal reactively!

Also - if I have either of these gene's - Celia has a 50% chance of having them. She should know her risk in the future. And hopefully, by then, they have proactive treatments for her that are not as invasive as the reactive treatment I am about to undergo!

Link to article in this morning paper on the subject of Genetic Testing ---What timing !

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Christy - I have heard also - that you can have the gene - and it can be the type of gene that is not passsed on to your children. I think there is a typeI and typeII gene - Type I doesn't get passed to children.

Gena