Friday, January 4, 2008

Drain is Finally out!

Yeah! I finally got my last drain out today! Woo hoo! It's about time!
I have spent the past week and a half with my left arm in a sling, not moving it, doing NOTHING, in order to get the left side to stop draining blood. It wasn't draining a lot of blood, but enough that my doctor did not want to take the drain out. The past 2 days it was finally draining little enough for her to take the drain out this morning!

And, I anticipated this to hurt. When she took the right drain out - it hurt so bad! I was very surprised by how much it stung for a minute or two after she removed it - profanities came out of my mouth when she removed it! This time, it did not hurt at all. And I was even sweating - worried about how much it would hurt!

Now, this does NOT mean that I am to be back to running around - per Dr. Frankel. She still wants me to wear the sling and sleep on the recliner (this keeps me from tossing and turning at night - less stress on my pec muscles). but - I can now take a full shower or bath! How exciting!

I will be having surgery again on January 9 - next Wednesday. This surgery will be to replace the expander implants with the real / permanent implants. I was on the "rapid expansion" path so that I could start radiation as soon as possible. You cannot get radiation with the expanders. And normal expansion process takes 4-6 months.

That's all for now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good to see the news on your blog. We were beginning to be concerned for you. Glad to hear the news. Another step in the past. Love you, Dad